Friday, July 16, 2010

So how do you keep two kids busy for five days?




So how do you keep two kids busy for five days? Lots of rope and duct tape....

I keep the activities a surprise and try not to repeat anything unless it was such a big hit that they ask for it every year. The treasure hunt was a huge hit so it's now an annual event. The first year I spent hours writing clues (in verse....why not go all out?) and hid them around the house, inside and out. I made the clues difficult so it would take them a while to find the treasure.....and had lots of them; maybe 20 or more clues.

When they finally got to the last clue 'X marks the spot', there was a big 'X' scratched into the dirt and a few digging tools. I buried the treasure deep, so they had to work to get it - but finally they found two tins - full of gold coins. Most were chocolate but some were Susan B. Anthony dollars.

Another activity we'll repeat this year is Bombs Away.....a water balloon fight. The kids and I spend a long time filling water balloons that we put into three buckets. Once the buckets are full, I space three lawn chairs in a triangle - about 20' apart (or the distance that the kids can throw a water balloon) and we each get a bucket full of water balloons! Then it's all out war!

I have a schedule for each day that is flexible. If the planned activity doesn't go over well - there are always the old standbys - bow & arrows, swinging, and board games. This year, my father made stilts for the kids - so this will keep them busy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment