Sunday, July 11, 2010

Bows & Arrows


This photo was taken the first year of Camp SP. Making the bows and arrows was one of the craft's projects and a BIG hit. We used apple branches, weed-eater line and duct tape. I found branches that were slightly curved then drilled a hole into each end of the branch. I threaded the weed eater line through the hole then wrapped the line 6 or 7 time around the branch, securing it with duct tape. When I attached the line to the other end, I pulled it really tight, curving the bow even more. I was shocked to see they really worked and the kids were hitting a bulls eye at 20 feet! Last year, they were allowed to use knives with supervision, so they spent hours shaving the bark off the bows. The kiddos are still playing with them, three years later.

I'm not sure if my son and daughter-in-law are OK with showing their children's faces online, so until I get their permission, they're masked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment