Sunday, July 11, 2010

You've got to have a camp flag!




If you're planning a camp for your grandkids, you must have a camp flag! I tore a piece of white fabric from an old sheet and drew the design with permanent markers, copying the t-shirt design for the first year. Camp doesn't officially start until the flag has been hoisted (to the highest point of the eaves on my house). The kids stand solemnly, hand over heart, while I play 'Reveille' on the kazoo. After dinner, the flag is lowered for the evening accompanied by Taps. At the end of camp, the flag is lowered for the last time (a very serious moment) and the kids trace their hand prints on the flag, adding a note or two and the date. The first year, my granddaughter wrote, 'Eva was hear - 2008' and last year's note was 'WE LOVE CAMP SWEETIE-PIE'!

The flag was a last minute thought the first year. If I'd thought of it sooner, I could have come up with a better looking flag - perhaps one sewn of brightly-colored nylon fabrics, but this one is a little home-grown looking - like the camp. Maybe my son will continue the tradition with his grandkids and the flag will fly over their camp, crammed with the hand-prints and signatures of lots of little kids over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment